From a workshop by Catherine Brills, DTSL
Can get a free trial
Inspiration and Kidspiration
Mind mapping tool
· Use for visual mapping, outlining, writing and making presentations, using text, symbols and pictures to represent their ideas.
· Very good for brainstorming and has a Rapid Fire button to make this happen easily.
· Do not have to set up text boxes etc – all done automatically.
· Features a built-in text-to-speech function,
· Has one-button transfer to a word processor
· Can convert the mind map to bullet points (excellent!)
Neo Smart Pen
· Have to use special paper
· What you write is transferred to the computer from the paper.
· Used for notetaking.
Speech to text – Dragon Naturally Speaking
For best results use a headphone with a microphone. Also, the plug on the headphones is a USB port.
Dragon Naturally speaking works on all other programmes eg Windows, Office
Presenter talked about Dragon Naturally speaking being used in the classroom. Kapiti College has found that the students need to have a digital recorder to use in the classroom and then use Dragon Naturally speaking at home. Just using Dragon Naturally Speaking didn’t work well on the classroom.
The info from class is recorded by the students. The recording can then be transferred into word using Dragon Naturally Speaking. There is no tool (apparently) that can do this process in one go so will need digital recorder and Dragon Naturally Speaking.
Cost $420 plus GST plus the headset $60 plus the cost of a digital recorder
Other speech to text options
Windows has the facility direct into is documents. Google Docs has it as well. These are ok but Dragon Naturally Speaking is more finetuned and easier to use from what I can gather.
Dragon Naturally speaking will also read back to you.
Funding support for adults
Funding support for children
The C-pen can be used by students for internal exams for NCEA as part of their special assessment conditions. Talk with your school about how this can be accommodated for.
MOE funding using the Assisted Technology process
To get the funding support with an Assisted Technology application an assessment by the school or RTLB’s, such as Lucid LASS, in conjunction with the on-going assessing within the school can be the evidence needed to meet the process requirements. Work with your school to discuss this potential option.
Informative websites for assistive technology