Speaker: Sue Fleury, Literacy Aotearoa on 6 May 2019
Why you may need to go to Work and Income
· Signing up for your Superannuation
· Food grants
· Disability allowance
· Childcare subsidy
· Community services card
· Education and employment related training
· Jobseeker support
· Home help
· Winter energy payment
· Working for Families
· Help with school uniform or school stationery costs
Support provided for a person with dyslexia
Sue and two others from Literacy Aotearoa are available to support people at all times who come into the WINZ office. They can help people
· understand what they are reading
· typing in the online forms, and
· with what to say.
This service is contracted until September 2019.
Work and Income Disability team only on Wednesday’s
Work and Income do provide other support and this is only on Wednesday’s. There is a 3 person team who are available to help with any queries by anyone. If you say at the counter you can’t do this the team will be available.
The Case Manager
Every person at Work and Income are assigned their own case manager. The case manager can go over what is on the form with you and adjust the information as needed.
Work and Income want everyone to use the online myMSD tool. You create your own account with myMSD and on this you can
· view all your own information,
· apply for help, for example, benefits, NZ Super
· update Work and Income of any changes
· book appointments
MyMSD will also tell you
· what you need to do
· what documents you will need to take to WINZ.
To sign up you need ID and a cellphone. No data is needed as you only have to receive texts.
Issues with MyMSD for a person with dyslexia
· Online form does not have read aloud feature
· Background colour white/gray
· Requires a large amount of reading
· Lot of information on one page.
About this page
Here you'll find the notes from the presentations at our Adult Dyslexia Support Group. To learn more about the group, click here.